Data-X: Enable Rapid Impact in a Digital World
Ikhlaq Sidhu, IEOR, UC Berkeley (contact)
Data-X is a framework designed at UC Berkeley for learning and applying AI, data science, and emerging technologies. Data-X fills a gap between theory and practice to empower the rapid development of data and AI projects that actually work. Data-X projects create new ventures, new research, and corporate innovations all over the world.
Undergraduate and Graduate Curriculum at Berkeley
At UC Berkeley, Data-X is offered as a 3 unit class called Applied Data Science with Venture Applications.
Applied Data Science with Venture Applications
Fall 2018 course information:
- Undergrad: INDENG 135, Class Number TBA
- Grad Section: INDENG 290 TBA
- Location: TuTh 3:30P-4:59P | 277 Cory
- Prerequisite: Students should have a working knowledge of Python, and they should have completed a fundamental probability / statistics course as well as a class in Linear Algebra.
While the course offers instruction on tools and methods in data science, the Data-X project includes new open-ended problems with industry, social, and venture perspectives on utilizing data for rapid impact. Click here to see examples of projects completed earlier semesters.
Masterclasses for Technical Leaders and Executives
Upcoming Workshops, Bootcamps and talks related to Data-X:
- Data-X Masterclass, Applied Analytics in Business Projects, University of Economics, Prague, April 26-27th 2018 (Official Website)
- Data-X lectures on AI and Blockchain, ICE-IEEE Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, June 19th 2018 (ICE/IEEE website)
- Data-X Masterclass for Technical Leaders, HKBU, Hong Kong, May 24th-25th 2018
- Data-X Masterclass for Technical Leaders, Hightech Summit, Germany, September 2018
- Data-X Masterclass for Technical Leaders, Hong Kong, January 25th-26th, 2018 (Github link, HKBU event, SCET article)
- “Research Trends in AI with Venture Applications”, at GMIC, Hong Kong, October 2017
- “Turning Data into Dollars”, CIO Connect, Hong Kong, September 11, 2017
- “Data at Scale, AI, and Business Models”, Jardines CIO Conference, July 2017
- “How Data and AI Affect Business, Government, and Society”, July 2017
Data-X Breadth: Trends & Industry Updates
- Ref B01: Is Your Data Strategy Working Hard Enough
- Ref B02: Fueling growth through data monetization | McKinsey, (original)
- Ref B03: AI, Data, and Blockchain Projects that Work in Real Life
- Ref B04: Why you’re not getting value from your data science
- Ref B05: How to Make Your Company Machine Learning Ready
- Ref B06: Artificial Intelligence — The Revolution Hasn’t Happened Yet
- Ref B07: The Importance and Value of APIs (WSJ)